In case you are uncertain about what a food dehydrator is, it is a device that increases the longevity of your food by heating it in such a way that it removes moisture from your food. Usually, it stores and dehydrates edibles such as fruits, meats, and vegetables. If you are someone who is going hiking, camping or on a long trip and you don’t want to buy food along the way, you should consider getting the best food dehydrator consumer reports.
Below, is a list of the best food dehydrator consumer reports. You have three brands to choose from, Nesco, Chefman, and Westinghouse. If all three have similar functionality, then you ought to consider getting the brand that is the cheapest and based on the one that can prepare you the most eats.
Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator
The Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator comes with four food trays and dries your food a few hours rather than days. The thermostat is adjustable, and temperatures range between 95 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit. It comes with fruit roll sheet and makes it easy for the beef jerky lover because it also includes the spice for it and curing packets.
- It comes with a top mounted fan, which prevents flavors from mixing and juices from leaking into the chamber.
- It is expandable. It comes with four trays, but you can include eight other trays to get a total of twelve trays in operation.
- Easy heat distribution. The heat is equally distributed so there is no need to rotate tray manually.
- Overloading trays will prolong their drying time; although it is expected, customers will want to pack the trays to their maximum capacity.
- It is not as durable as it should be—you may expect to get as much use out of this as possible, but frequent usage will quickly shorten the lifespan of this product, and you will soon be forced to invest in another. The fan is usually the first part to stop working.
Chefman Food Dehydrator Machine Professional Electric Multi-Tier Food Preserver
This food preserver also has the ability to make beat jerky, dry vegetables and it has a transparent door and nine slides out trays. The various trays allow you to dehydrate several types of food in the same usage rather than putting each food item individually. It works by touch interface which tends to be a bit friendlier than having to turn knobs. It also has a timer that counts down for more than nineteen hours.
It is designed in such a way that overheating is prevented, as there is an even air flow throughout the system. If you are curious about the process, the transparent door allows you to get a sneak peak of your food being dehydrated.
- When you buy this product, you get access to recipes—the dehydrator introduces you to the world of Club Chefman where you can share cookbooks, watch videos and generally enhance your dehydration experience.
- Better insulation- this dehydrator is a rectangular one and very much like an oven. It offers equal insulation, unlike the stacked circular dehydrators.
- It has a lot of space. This dehydrator is spacious so it can dehydrate food for the entire family. Even if everyone has different preferences, you can all put in your fruit or meat at the same time on different shelves.
- It takes long to dehydrate. This takes longer to dehydrate compared to steel dehydrators. Steels conduct heat, so dehydration will be a rapid process in steel systems when compared to plastic.
- The door may give a bit of trouble to open when it is hot.
Westinghouse WFD100W New Food Dehydrator
The Westinghouse dehydrator is white and has five stackable trays. It is available in configurations of 100, 101 and 201. There is plenty room for your items, and the temperature is adjustable. The dehydrator is small, so it does not take up much counter space. There is no need for tray rotation as there is an air flow drying system.
- It is relatively easy to use—there is one central knob that rotates, and you can use it to adjust the temperatures to one that suits you best.
- Adjustable—the trays are stacked and have a height that can fit a variety of fruits and vegetables. Aside from that, the openings are also adjustable.
- Compact Size—if you have a small countertop or limited space, this dehydrator is a good option for you. It doesn’t take much space, and it can be easily packed away when it is not in use.
- Long Dehydrating Times- Dehydrating can take as long as thirty hours or even more.
- The openings in the trays can make them very fragile, so you need to be careful how you handle the trays.
Each dehydrator has its advantages and disadvantages. It is now up to you to choose the dehydrator that will suit your needs. With the Nesco, it is obvious that overloading the trays will slow down the process as there is more surface area to cover. With the Chefman, you obviously do not want to purchase a product that you potentially cannot open, and the Westinghouse takes longer to dehydrate. Which is the best food dehydrator consumer reports?
Well, for starters, you will want to go with the dehydrator that has the most advantageous features and characteristics. The Chefman and the Westinghouse both take long to dehydrate but the Nesco could be more durable in its design. Despite its slow dehydrating times compared to a steel dehydrator and its door troubles, the Chefman seems to be the best food dehydrator consumer reports.
If you are not comfortable with purchasing either of the three, you can consider searching for a dehydrator that will better suit your needs and your budget. The Chefman Food Dehydrator seems like the best of the three options presented here.