Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator Review
A food dehydrator can help you save a ton of money by making your own snacks, jerky or dog treats at home. It can become a way of discovering new recipes and help you with healthier snacking habits.
You can use fresh produce for fruit rolls that might otherwise have spoiled, or you can create your own spices right out of your garden. If you are looking to buy a new one, we are here to help with a quick review of the Nesco Snackmaster Express. We will give you an overview of its features and tell you more about its pros and cons.
The Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator, 4-Trays – MADE IN USA is a 500-Watt drying and heating unit with a top mounted fan. The position of the fan ensures that the liquids do not drip into the heating chamber. It has the added feature of an adjustable thermostat from 95-155°F. It has a Converga flow drying system which means you do not have to spend your valuable time to rotate trays.
On top of that, it has a sheet for fruit rolls, and it is expandable. It comes with 4 trays but you can extend it to a larger quantity of twelve. You also get some jerky spice and cure packets with your purchase. But let’s see if it really delivers on its promises.
- It has 500 Watts of power
- It has a top mounted fan that prevents liquids into the heating chamber
- It comes with an adjustable thermostat from 95 to 155°F (35 to 68°C)
- It has a Converga flow drying system
- There is no need to rotate trays
- It includes a fruit roll sheet
- It has a circular form
- It is expandable, it comes with 4 trays but can operate with up to 12
- It comes with jerky spice and cure packets
- Dimensions: 13.6 x 9.8 x 13.5 in (34.54 x 24.89 x 34.29 cm)
- Weight: 7 pounds (3.17 kg)
- The plastic trays are BPA free
- The trays are dishwasher safe
- It is very easy to clean
- It can run continuously for a long time
- There is a temperature chart on the lid
- It is very simple to use
- It has large trays and dries food quickly
- It runs quite loud and you will smell the food while it is drying
- Garlic or onion smells will stay in the plastic and are not the best foods to use with this dehydrator
- It does not have a power button so you have to unplug it
- It does not have an automatic timer
- It does not work well in very humid areas
- The motor is not very durable
The Nesco Snackmaster gives you the opportunity to create a large variety of snacks because it has large trays and comes with adjustable temperature settings. Some of its best features are that the plastic trays are also BPA free and dishwasher safe.
This means it really is easy to keep clean. It can run continuously for quite some time and if you are unsure of what temperature and time you need, there is a handy temperature chart right on the lid. You can also add additional trays so you can create quite an amount of jerky, treats or dried fruit in one go.
On the negative side we have to mention that it is not the quietest of food dehydrators. So you might not be able to run it at night when people want to sleep nearby. It also does not have a power button, so to power off, you need to unplug it. It does not have an automatic timer and it does not like high humidity. This puts extra strain on the motor and it will not run very well.
If you are in the market for a basic food dehydrator that is very simple to use, can handle anything from jerky to pineapple, peppers or dog treats and you don’t need any fancy settings or timers, the Nesco FD-60 Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator, 4-Trays – MADE IN USA is for you. It is easy to clean and you won’t need to study a manual for hours to know how to use it. The adjustable thermostat is a really nice addition for food dehydrators in this price range.
On the negative side, it is not the most durable of food dehydrators available and it does not come with any automatic features. So if you need it to do more, you might need to put some extra cash aside. It really won’t break the bank and will help you save even more money in the long run. With this dehydrator you can preserve produce, create snacks and treats and eliminate unnecessary waste. So it is a good mid-budget choice.