One of the worst stuff about camping is that you have to carry all your food with you. This can be a real problem, and it also makes it difficult if something goes wrong such as an accident or injury on the trail. That’s why dehydrated food packs are so great! Dry food packs are lightweight and take up little space in your backpack, making them perfect for camping trips! This article will explore six different dehydrated food pack options that would make excellent choices for those looking to enjoy delicious meals during their next outdoor adventure.
Best Dehydrated Food Pack Brands:
Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef
This hearty meal is perfect for backpackers and campers who are tired of the same old freeze-dried meals. With a mix of natural beef, macaroni noodles, beans, and all-natural spices, you’ll never be disappointed with this easy-to-make dish that can be served anywhere. In addition, the Mountain House Chili Mac Food Pack contains no artificial flavors or preservatives so that it will stay fresh even after opening!
- The Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef serves ten people, making it an excellent choice to bring on your camping trip.
- It is made with natural beef and beans, whole macaroni noodles.
- You can easily prepare this meal- just add hot water to the can and enjoy it in less than 10 minutes.
- The best thing about these meals is their versatility. You can eat them anytime, anywhere – even in an emergency! So when you’re out camping or on a road trip, they’ll keep your mind off hunger pains and provide the energy to get through whatever adventure may come.
- Mountain House has a 30-year taste guarantee which will give your food just enough flavor to keep it tasting delicious for as long as possible!
Why We Choose It
The Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef comes with a 30-year taste guarantee and is perfect for camping, backpacking, or road trips.
They have also been providing delicious products for over 50 years, so you know that they’re doing something right.
What We Didn’t Like
The price is a little high, and it can be hard to find the right flavor.
Good To-Go Mushroom Risotto
Good To-Go Mushroom Risotto is a dehydrated camp meal that has been around for some years. It includes instant arborio rice, Cremini mushrooms and onions, spices, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil in each package, so all you have to do is add boiling water!
- The Good To Go Mushroom Risotto is all gluten-free and vegan. It has no preservatives and is produced from real food.
- Each package takes about 15 to 20 minutes to prepare for two servings at 410 calories per serving. The whole dish has just 420 grams of sodium, so it’s not too high in salt either!
- The flavor was delicious, and in terms of taste, this is one of my favorite dehydrated meals that I have tried.
- Good To-Go Mushroom Risotto comes in a package with two servings per pouch and can be bought on Amazon for a great price.
- These meals are handmade, cooked, dehydrated, and packaged in Kittery, Maine, in the USA to ensure the best quality for you!
- These meals have a shelf-life of up to four years; this depends on the product and ingredients. It would be best if you visited individual product pages for the shelf life of each of the meals.
What We Liked:
- Easy to make instructions.
- All the dishes are organic with no preservatives or additives.
- Portable packaging for camping trips so you can enjoy healthy on the trail!
- The shelf life of four years is also great for long-term storage.
What We Didn’t Like
- It only has two servings per pouch which are expensive for the amount you get; this can add up costs on your wallet when scaled up to multiple servings of a meal.
- There are not many available flavors.
Backpacker’s Pantry Pad Thai
- This is one of the most popular dehydrated food packs for camping. It includes noodles, veggies, and jalapeno chili pepper to make a delicious pad thai that also offers you high-quality proteins.
- It is gluten-free and plant-based.
- The whole packet cooks up in just 15 minutes which is perfect when you are on the go or camping!
- One of my favorite dishes to dehydrate at camping is this Pad Thai as I love savory flavors like lemongrass, ginger, and garlic.
What We Liked About Backpacker’s Pantry Pad Thai
- It is created by an excellent company that is passionate about getting you the best quality dehydrated food.
- The flavor was a favorite among reviewers, and it has high protein content, which will help you stay full on your adventure!
- This Pad Thai can be cooked in just 15 minutes, perfect for when you are camping or traveling.
- It is gluten-free and plant-based, making it perfect for those who have dietary restrictions or preferences!
What We Didn’t Like About Backpacker’s Pantry Pad Thai
- The noodles are a little challenging when rehydrated. However, this may just be the personal preference of some people.
- Some reviews mention they have a distressed stomach when eating this meal pack.
- It doesn’t have a long storage life.
Peak Refuel Beef Stroganoff
- The Peak Refuel Beef Stroganoff comes in a package of two or six pre-made servings, perfect for those who want to eat and go. The meal is freeze-dried, ensuring that it will be lightweight while still retaining most of its nutrients.
- The beef stroganoff tastes rich and hearty with rotini noodles, natural beef & mushrooms with cream cheese.
- Peak Refuel Beef Stroganoff is a top pick for reducing prep time and avoiding the mess.
- It has 41 grams of protein per pouch!
- It has 100 percent real meat and no fillers.
- There are 400 calories per pouch, and it has non-GMO ingredients.
What We Liked About Peak Refuel Beef Stroganoff
- It is freeze dried so that it will be lightweight.
- The pasta texture was great, and the meal tastes rich and hearty
- There are plenty of calories per pouch (400) for those who need to pack more food.
- The products are packaged in the USA.
- It is 100% real meat.
What Didn’t We Like About Peak Refuel Beef Stroganoff?
We didn’t like the price of this product because it is a little expensive compared to other dehydrated food options; the six-pack comes to nearly $100.
Augason Farms Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- Augason Farms Buttermilk Pancake Mix is the perfect addition to a camping breakfast. The mix includes powdered eggs, buttermilk, and flour, and blending instructions on the back of the pack.
- This Buttermilk Pancake Mix is one of many products available from Augason Farms, which manufactures dehydrated food for emergency relief, camping, and disaster preparedness situations.
- The product has a shelf life of up to 10 years when stored properly.
- It provides 32 servings and only requires the addition of water.
What We Liked About Augason Farms Pancake Mix
- It is an excellent product for those who want to save time and avoid the mess of cooking.
- It has 160 calories per serving, making it a perfect breakfast for high-intensity hikers.
- The mix can be stored in your pantry for up to ten years without any nutritional loss.
What Didn’t We Like About Augason Farms Pancake Mix?
Some customers have complained that the can comes with a dent in it, which can cause the product to be less flavorful. This is of no fault to Augason Farms but the company that delivers the product.
Expedition Foods Spaghetti Bolognese
Expedition Foods has been established since 1995, they have been providing excellent quality freeze-dried meals to people around the world, such as explorers, rowers, sailors, endurance athletes, mountaineers, and campers.
The Expedition Foods Spaghetti Bolognese is one of the best dehydrated food packs for camping. These pouches are a great way to make your adventure even more enjoyable with minimal effort. Just add water and enjoy without having to wash dishes!
What We Liked
- It has a 5-year shelf life which means you can store it in your kitchen for years to come.
- This product weighs only about 200g; these pouches are super lightweight, which makes carrying them around much more effortless. They also have an easy-to-open design.
We Didn’t Like
- It is expensive to buy.
- The dehydrated food packs are not suitable for the entire family; they only feed two people.
Dehydrated food packs for camping are an easy and light way to eat healthy, flavorful meals while on the go. We’ve tested these dehydrated foods in various conditions, from backpacking with friends in Yosemite to eating them by myself during a weekend hike. The most useful part about this variety is that it doesn’t take up much space or weight, so that you can pack more snacks! If you need some help deciding which flavors would be your favorite, let me know. I’ll send over my favorites and what we recommend based on our experience testing all sorts of different options, including those specifically designed for vegetarians and vegans. You won’t regret giving these delicious dehydrated camping food packets a try.
Check out our article on Best Dehydrated Food for Camping.