Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator: The Most Innovative and Kitchen-Friendly Dehydrator in the Market.
Being the newest model from Nesco, the FD-80 Dehydrator is a culmination of state of the art engineering and hands-on expertise. The medium-sized “snack master” boasts a myriad of exceptional features which make it an unadulterated starter appliance for every home. This unit helps you dry your veggies and fruits within the shortest time possible.
The Nesco American FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator comes with four trays, but it can also be expanded to 8 trays. It also boasts a patented top-down airflow system which allows air to infiltrate into the exterior pressurized chamber, then down the interior walls as it dries the products on every tray.
- Adjustable thermostat (95-160º F)
- Powerful Top Mounted Fan. 700 watts of drying power
- Expandable to 8 trays. (Outside Tray Dimension 14.5 x 14.5 x 1)
- Patented Converga-Flow drying system forces air down the exterior pressurized chamber (not through the trays). The hot air is forced horizontally across each individual tray, converging on the core for fast, even and nutritious drying. No flavor mixing and no need to rotate trays
- Includes: 2 Jerky Spice and Cure Packets 1 Clean-A-Screen
- Made in the USA of Global and Domestic parts
- Easy-to-use dehydrator for drying fruit, vegetables, herbs, and jerky
- Air-circulation system ensures fast, even drying; no need to rotate trays
- Adjustable thermostat; printed guidelines on motor housing
Last update on 2020-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Outstanding Features and Specifications
Motor and Fan
While the top-mounted fan ensures that there is a regular flow of air, the heating element which is connected to motor ensures that the air is heated to the set temperatures for proper drying. The hot air then passes through the pressurized chamber on the inner walls of the appliance into the center of the trays. This means that there is no need to rotate them like in other dehydrators. The motor and fan are positioned on the top part which is also the cover.
This appliance comes with an adjustable thermostat which boasts temperatures of between 95 and 160 degrees. Although the thermostat lacks a power button, it boasts a power code slider which allows you to set the temperature depending on the type of food you want to dry. With its 700 watts of power, the Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 dehydrator will satisfy all your needs whether you want to dry fruits, herbs, veggies or beef jerky. For those who would like to know the temperature range for various foods, they are clearly displayed on the top cover of this unit.
Number of Trays
While the Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator can accommodate 8 trays, it comes with four trays only. The stackable trays are positioned in a way that the hot air streaming down the system is evenly distributed in all plates. The trays border the outer pressurized chambers which collect heated air from the top of the appliance.
With a cubic-shaped design that resembles a picnic or fruit basket, the FD-80 Dehydrator uses 40% more space than the round-shaped models. The appliance is ideal for small families as it features four trays which collectively offer 5.6 square feet of drying space. However, the capacity increases to 11.2 square feet once you add four extra trays.
The Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator is made of BPA-free plastic material. While most people are concerned about the quality of the food dried in a dehydrator as it comes into direct contact with the plastic material at all times, this is a non-issue for the FD-80 since it is made using the ABS plastic which is a Bisphenol-A Free Plastic.
Product Weight & Dimensions
This appliance is easily portable from one point to the next and can be safely placed on any type of countertop. This is because it comes with a total weight of 9.3 lbs and its dimensions are 14-1/2 x 14-1/2 x 9-5 inches.
What Else Do You Get When You Purchase This Product
• An Instruction Manual
This product comes with an instruction manual to help you operate the appliance efficiently with much ease. Besides, the Nesco/ American Harvest FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator also features additional information such as the temperatures required to dry different kinds of food on the top cover.
Once you purchase this appliance, it comes with a one-year limited warranty. This means that if your dehydrator malfunctions, you can have it repaired or replaced without incurring any additional costs.
• SLD-2 Fruit Roll Sheet (set of 2)
• T-2 Add-A-Trays (set of 2)
• SQM-2 Clean-A-Screen (set of 2
Pros and Cons
1. It comes with four trays that can be loaded easily and offer more drying space.
2. Unlike other dehydrators in the market, the FD-80 allows even drying since hot air is introduced from the inner walls and not from the top.
3. Gives you value for money since it is relatively affordable
4. It ensures that the heating system is not destroyed by liquids dripping during the drying process by placing the motor and fan on the top cover.
5. Comes with a one year warranty
6. It is easy and convenient to use.
1. It doesn’t have a power button or timer
2. It can dry only a limited number of prominent foods
3. It is not suitable for large families
A product is only great if it meets and surpasses the needs of the consumers. And as this article elaborates, the Nesco/American FD-80 Square-Shaped Dehydrator has proven to do just that. From its unique design that places the dry system on the lid to the one year warranty which allows you to return the product if it malfunctions, the FD-80 dehydrator is a highly recommended product for those who want to add a new item in their kitchen.