Dried food is a great way to have healthy and nutritious food when you’re on the go. It is also cheaper than fresh food, so it is a good option for people who want to save money or don’t have a lot of time to cook their meals. However, is dehydrated food healthy? This article will explore the benefits of dried foods and how they compare with fresh foods.
What is Dehydrated Food?
Dehydrated food is food that is dried. Some dried foods include fruits, vegetables, and meats. This process is done to help extend shelf life and prevent bacteria growth within the product.
There are different dehydration methods, including sun drying, using a food dehydrator machine, and more.
The drying process retains most of the nutrients found in fresh food, such as apple chips which have similar sugar, carbohydrate, protein, fiber, calorie, and fat content as the store-bought apples.
Pros and Health Benefits of Dehydrated Food
- Save money with dehydrated fruit and vegetables.
- More nutritious than total fat or sugar versions
- Add flavor without sacrificing much nutrition.
- It is also available year-round and can be stored for a long time, making it an ideal ingredient to add in times of need, such as natural disasters or when your favorite grocery store is out of stock on your favorite produce items.
- Great for kids snacks such as fruit leathers or dehydrated apple chips.
- Therefore, dried food has no preservatives and is a healthier alternative to snacks such as chips or crackers.
- Food waste is minimized.
- You can dry a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats such as beef jerky, kale chips, dehydrated green beans, dehydrated apricots.
- It can be used in trail mix and is a great snack to have during hikes.
- Great for a healthier lifestyle.
- Excellent for plant based diets.
- They taste great.
- Dehydration can lead to significant nutrient reduction. Vitamins C and A are two nutrients that may be affected by this. This depends on the dehydration method that is used.
- You will need a food dehydrator machine to make dehydrated food (the ones with digital timers are expensive).
Is Dehydrated Food Safe?
They are safe to eat. They are also nutritious, great snack alternatives and can be added to other recipes like salads, oatmeal, baked goods, and smoothies. Dried foods are easy to store for long periods.
What Foods Can You Dehydrate?
Here are some of my favorite foods to dehydrate:
- Fruits such as apples, bananas, peaches, apricots, cherries. These are great for eating as a snack or added to granola.
- Vegetables such as carrots and mushrooms. Carrots can be put into soups or stews.
- Meats and fish like chicken, ground beef, and fresh fish.
- Grains such as quinoa, rice, buckwheat, barley
- Dried spices (basil, mint, oregano) are also a great addition to dried foods.
It can be hard to find a balance between eating healthy and saving money, but dehydrating food is perfect for anyone who wants their favorite foods without paying an arm and a leg. With these great benefits, there’s no reason not to try it out today. See our other posts for even more information, or contact us with any questions that may arise!