How often have you eaten a dried kiwi slice? If it’s never, don’t worry. Kiwis are almost always fresh and juicy in the grocery store. But if you want to eat delicious dried kiwi slices right now, then this blog post is for you! When drying this healthy snack, all you need is a food dehydrator or oven! In this recipe blog post, we will discuss how to dehydrate kiwi slices. This process is simple and easy- it only takes a few hours before the fruit is ready to eat.
What You Need
- Buy a food dehydrator with an adjustable temperature setting; I use my Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator because of the many things I can make.
- Airtight container
- Vegetable peeler
- Oven ( if you want to use this method)
- Cookie tray for making kiwi chips in the oven
- Fresh kiwi fruit
How to Dry Kiwi in Dehydrator
- First, you need to wash the kiwi fruit before peeling.
- Peel the kiwi with a vegetable peeler, then slice it into thin round slices using a sharp knife (1/8 – 1/4 inch thick). The lighter the fruit, the faster it will dehydrate.
- Place each sliced piece on your dehydrator tray; as you prepare your food, make sure not to overlap any pieces.
- Place the tray in your Excalibur drying machine. Set the food dehydrator temperature to 135 F for 10-18 hours until dry or leathery. Check after six hours.
- Once ready, remove from your dehydrator and store in an air-tight container.
How Do You Dehydrate Kiwifruit in An Oven
You can also make dehydrated kiwi fruit in your oven. Dehydrating this fruit in the oven will require more time than using a dehydrator, but it is still an easy process.
- Firstly you will need to wash the kiwis under the tap.
- Then it would be best if you sliced your kiwifruit into very thin slices (¼ inch thick). Place the pieces onto a cookie tray lined with parchment paper and place them in an oven preheated to 150-170 degrees Fahrenheit. The time it will take for dehydrating kiwi fruit is about 2-3 hours or longer; this depends on the depth of the fruit slices. Check after the three hours mark to make sure they are dried out. If not, leave them in the oven for a while longer until all the moisture is removed from the fruit and completely dry to the touch.
- Once the dehydrating process is complete, remove them from the oven, let them cool, and place the fruit in an airtight container until ready for eating.
How to tell if my kiwifruit is dehydrated?
A few ways to know if your kiwi fruit slices are dried out would be:
- Should be firm
- It should be dry to touch
How to Store Dehydrated Kiwis Safely
Once the kiwi slices are dehydrated, they need to be stored in a way that keeps them safe from getting contaminated. Dry fruits and veggies can last for months when stored properly.
You should keep your dried fruit and vegetables inside airtight containers or bags.
The containers or bags should be placed in cool, dry places without direct sunlight exposure. This may cause them to lose nutritional value over time.
Keeping dehydrated kiwi chips inside the fridge is not advisable. This is because they may get moisture inside if not appropriately stored; however, you can choose this option to keep them for more extended periods but make sure the container is airtight and no moisture is visible.
Also, you should always label your dehydrated food items. This will make it easier to find what you need when cooking or preparing foods from these ingredients.
How to Use Dehydrated Kiwi
- Use dehydrated kiwi slices in fruit salads or as a baking ingredient to add flavor and nutrients.
- Make healthy homemade dried kiwis that can be used as an additive for smoothies, yogurt parfaits, excellent Ingredient for granola, pancakes, etc.
- Use them as a nutritious candy alternative to satisfy your sweet tooth. Cut them up into bite-size pieces for easy snacking.
- This dried fruit can also be used as a sweet treat for children to enjoy or as a healthy snack for day hikes, backpackers.
- You can have it as a mid afternoon snack or as a healthy pick-me-up.
- You can add it into a homemade trail mix.
Kiwi is a superfood that everyone can benefit from. You don’t need many ingredients to dehydrate kiwi, and they are going to make an excellent snack for later on. I hope this blog post has been helpful! If you want more information about food dehydrators, check out our website Dehydrated Foodz or contact us!
You can find other helpful articles here: